Impact

You’ll be fine tomorrow
The sun will rise again
It’s never easy to say goodbye
You know I’ll always love you
You know I always will

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
My old friend (my old friend)
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
We’ve reached the end (we’ve reached the end)

I don’t cry with sorrow, I cry with joy
The memories we made can’t be destroyed
You know I won’t forget you
You know I never could
And when I said I loved you
You know I meant for good

-Audio Adrenaline, "Goodbye" from Adios


This song has been on my mind a lot lately, for obvious reasons (with the exception of the morning of my MET final, when I woke up with -- no joke -- "If I Only Had A Brain" stuck in my head). Already I miss RC, especially the network of friends I have there. I've left a culture unlike any I'll encounter elsewhere, and it's a rather large shift.

Things are changing.

Let's hear a big ol' "DUH!" Of course things are changing. They're always changing. But every once in awhile, in each of our lives, we see big changes.

Like this graduation thing -- big change in Ashleyland. Parts of it feel like a step back, what with my moving back home and such, but in any case, it's different in a huge way. I've left my friends and family in Rapid City -- which has been more home-like than anywhere else, in a lot of respects -- to see the rest of what life has to offer. Right now, it's offering Sioux Falls.

But that begs the question: what's next?


So we keep waiting (waiting)
Waiting on the world to change
We keep on waiting (waiting)
Waiting on the world to change
It's hard to be persistent
When we're standing at a distance
So we keep waiting (waiting)
Waiting on the world to change
(Originally by ? -- remade by John Mayer)


We talk about how things need to be different, how things have to change if we are to survive as a species. We talk about the things that are wrong with the world and how much better things could be. We talk about improvements and innovations and alterations.

We're very good at talking.

With everything that ends, we get fresh opportunity for real change. Our time is suddenly available for new endeavors ... including real action. Those improvements and alterations? They're not going to happen if all we do is observe and comment.

Don't for a moment think I'm excluding myself from this rant. I'm one of the biggest perpetrators of non-change. When I was younger, I had a straight fear of it. I'm growing tired of my own attitude and lack of action. It's time for some real change.

So how about it, Class of 2006+? What are we going to do that later generations are going to read about in their history books? What changes will we affect that will make our own children listen to us in awe? What stories will we have to tell 30, 40, 50 years from now?

It's scary, but it's our turn. It's up to us to make the improvements and alterations that are going to change the world. We won't all get to be the President of the United States, but it doesn't take more than a small change in your corner of the world to affect the whole. The end of slavery, the road to the polio vaccine, the development of the light bulb -- each of those started small and with a single person. The possibilities are truly endless.

Or we could do nothing and watch the world stagnate. Each of us gets to make that decision.

Are you ready to find out what your impact will be?


Be the change you want to see in the world.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review