Bag Lady

Something I wrote last week (that I never published):

I am the crazy lady. I realized that today while I was walking to lunch, having a very animated conversation with ... myself. That's right. Not only was I talking to myself (admit it, you do it too!), but I was having both sides of the conversation, speaking with large gestures, and generally looking like I had lost my mind. It's entirely possible that the genuinely eccentric were avoiding me. I looked like a madwoman.


I've decided that I may still be the crazy lady. Partially because of my convoluted life plans (none of which involve me making much money, but that's okay), partially because I've been listening to Christmas music since Halloween, but mostly because I was talking to myself again, this time walking in from my parking spot in Fargo.

A friend of mine told me that 80% of women have expressed a fear of becoming a bag lady. I thought about it and told him I wasn't really afraid of it ... and he asked if I embraced the idea.

Much to my horror, I realized that I preferred that idea to doing something I truly hated just because it would pay the bills. That might have been a turning point in the job search; here I was, applying for jobs I was only half-interested in because that was what I was supposed to be doing.

So here I sit, considering all sorts of options that could make me the bane of the career center (I would, after all, potentially drag down the average starting salary). While doing chem-e homework that, believe it or not, I actually enjoy (especially when the program cooperates). Maybe I haven't completely eliminated a regular job just yet ... I just haven't found the right one.

*Sigh.* Maybe this best illustrates why I can't seem to reach any conclusions?

In any case, I'm going to fully enjoy these last couple of weeks of school, whether or not I know what's going on as of January 1st. Why waste time?

Have a good week, everybody!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post Ashley!

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review