Fall Weekend

Awesome weekend. Awesome.

Friday was M-Day. The usual hijinks (I like that word) ensued. Free food, jousting, the mud pit, the hill ... All fantastic fun stuff.

Alas, there was no hill climbing for me this year. Been there and so on. Instead, after our dip in the creek (have to do something preliminary to get rid of all that mud!), Darren and I raced off to finish cleaning up and pack up for an overnighter in the Hills.

Around 5:00, six of us headed into the northern Hills area to do a lake loop. Deerfield Lake sits at approximately 6000 feet, and is encircled by an 8 mile trail that, at this time of year, is particularly gorgeous.

We hiked in a couple of miles Friday night and relaxed the rest of the evening. Food was an adventure, mostly because all we had was a single stove and a small pan. The rice alone came in 4 shifts.

The weather was awesome as well; Friday night I slept under the stars, sans tent, for the first time ever. Between the stars and the sunrise, my weekend was made.

The hike out was equally scenic and a lot of fun, including a detour (where, I admit, we weren't "lost" so much as "taking a different route") and a lot of fence-crossing. (PS -- national forest land is also open to cattle. It's odd sometimes.)

We got back into town, cleaned up, and hit a little Italian place for a birthday supper for Dyan. After that it was some Monty Python and much-needed sleep.

Today, church, relaxation, and some quality time at Perkins with Ashli and Darren. All in all, a great weekend.

This is the kind of weekend I never found time for before this semester. It's a little sad that it was so low in priority when it would have been so worth it, especially when the stress was high enough to take me out.

Interesting, what hindsight can do for you.

Well, that was the weekend. It felt wonderful to relax; now I just hope I can carry that feeling with me this week.

Have a good one, folks!

*Photos courtesy of Bridget (1st) and Dyan (2nd and 3rd)

Let the wind fall wild across my path ...
-Jars of Clay, "My Heavenly," from Who We Are Instead

Comments

Anonymous said…
ooh I love Deerfield! I had the opportunity to swim in it this summer, in our last open water swim of the season. It has a suprisingly large population of underwater grass (blech!) and the cows suprised us a bit too!!

Sorry we missed the Harney hike..we ran my first 5K and the rest of it went long. :(

Lunch sometime??

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review