Beginning Of The End

Dostoevsky is hard going.

The career fair is over. I still have a few interviews ahead of me (thank goodness), but the shmoozy part has passed.

Career fair time cracks me up. Never have I seen so many people look so drastically uncomfortable. It starts with the suits ... There's an interesting reaction when a bunch of engineering students -- those who are pursuing a profession that often involves steel-toed boots and a hard hat -- those who frequently come from a moderately blue-collar upbringing -- those who are not necessarily the most outgoing, social types -- are dressed up and made to talk to strangers. In all honesty, it's fun to watch.

When there are as many companies around as there were this week, the interview process gets interesting as well. I wonder what company the poor man doing interviews under the stairs worked for ... I know I felt bad for the students being questioned in such a public area. How awkward.

In any case, life goes on. Life now includes a continued job search, investigation of grad schools, and reading Hemingway and Dostoevsky. Life is starting to feel complicated.

True complications haven't hit yet, and I know that. No mortgage payments, no kids, no (real) bills ... Heck, I don't even have a credit card. Right now complications lie in trying to decide which area of life to confuse first.

The coolest part? There are so few limitations. I mean, I don't see any trips to Europe in my near future, but that doesn't make them impossible.

The insomnia of the past week has continued, although to a lesser degree. The only excuse I can imagine for it is the decision-making pressure; I'm not terribly stressed out, things are going fairly smoothly, and I'm giving myself plenty of time to sleep. All the same, unconsciousness doesn't come easily, nor is it easily maintained.

It's frustrating, but not as bad as past years when a lack of sleep was due to a crushingly large amount of homework. Perhaps my body requires less rest ...

College is winding down. How very strange. After four years of life here, it's almost time to move on. And that could include anything.

It's odd. I think of travelling now and I almost wish I had taken a semester elsewhere. Almost. The full truth is, as much fun as that could have been, I've loved my life here and I don't regret it. I've had some cool opportunities that I might have otherwise missed. Heck, I doubt very much that it would have ever occurred to me to visit Russia. Imagine that ...

I should get back to Hemingway. Have a good day!


Raise a glass for ignorance, drink a toast to fear
The beginning of the end has come that's why we all are here
Strike up the band to play a song and try hard not to cry
And fake a smile as we all say goodbye
Goodbye ...
-Jars of Clay, "Goodbye, Goodnight" (from If I Left The Zoo)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review