The Tunnel Goes Dark

I'm tired, and I'm sad.

In the last two weeks, I've climbed Storm and Harney (in one day, on only three hours of sleep, which I do NOT recommend), finished my schedule for school, backed into someone's car (egads), spent five days on a lake in Minnesota, been a volleyball champion and and ultimate Frisbee runner-up (never saw those coming!), been to the zoo for the first time since I was in middle school, made some new friends, said goodbye to others, and driven to and from Minneapolis in an 18-hour period to drop off Anya at the airport (the saddest part of the summer yet). I have NOT achieved ultimate enlightenment, cured the common cold, slept more than six hours at a stretch, or figured out what to do with my life after December.

Honestly, I think enlightenment might be the easiest of those options.

The summer is all but over. It's sad to see it, even with the knowledge that the semester will be fun and exciting. There have been plenty of ups and downs, and extremes of both. Overall, it's been awesome.

I don't want to say that school is going to be bad; I know better. It's going to be fun and interesting and hopefully life-changing. IV will keep me busy if classes don't (not shocking, considering my class load). However, there's this threat of the future -- a big, dark fog bank waiting just up the trail from here. I don't know what's in store or where I'll be in six months. I have no idea what to expect. I'm okay with this, but it scares me a bit.

The tunnel is cloudy and frightening, but there's a calm about it. None of it is in my hands. Who am I to freak out about things?


Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find
You and I collide
- Howie Day, "Collide"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review