Here In Pleasantville

I am a creature of habit. I walked into the library this morning shortly after 7AM and, despite having the choice of any desk in the building, I headed straight for my usual spot on the third floor.

I've found that the key to drinking more water seems to be using a smaller, easily refilled bottle. I love my Nalgene, but it's not that portable for day-to-day life.

It's a little depressing to people-watch on campus. It quickly becomes obvious that engineers are trained to look at the ground ... So few even see the people in front of them. Besides, have you ever tried to walke with energy (the phrase "a spring in your step" comes to mind) while staring at the ground? Practically impossible. Staring at the ground makes you look deep in thought, mildly unhappy, and slightly clumsier. Odd.

After almost four years here, I've found that I don't always know what to do with myself when I have large blocks of free time. It's not that there's not plenty to do -- although I've done a good chunk of it to the point where I'm no longer interested -- but suddenly my body just screams at me to stop. Sleep deprivation and mild malnourishment can only take you so far.

Boring classes cause engineer metamorphosis. We become artists, philosophers, dreamers, poets, more organized, better rested -- we can even write blog entries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review