Some Reviews To Kill The Time

There seem to be lapses in my posts these days. I’m not sure I have a good excuse; I spend a lot of time doing homework, and when I’m not, I don’t usually want to be on a computer. Unless the right people are on MSN, of course.

Anyway, not a whole lot of excitement, but I realized I haven’t given any reviews on the movies I’ve been to lately, so here goes:

"Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." This movie actually caught me off guard -- it was pretty true to the book (left out some key parts, as movies often do), but more specifically, it was almost exactly as I pictured. When Lucy stepped into Narnia for the first time -- wow. You could have been in my head while I was reading the book. In addition, Tilda Swinton made the perfectly creepy White Witch. (If she looked familiar, it might be because she was the equally creepy Gabriel in "Constantine.") Recommended. In general.

“Brokeback Mountain.” Oscar-runner for a reason. I loved this movie; it was tactfully, honestly done (very little pretense), and the characters are the types you can get attached to. Heath Ledger was every rancher I’ve ever known. I’m aware that people are conflicted about this on some very fundamental levels, and I can respect that to some degree (although, just for the record, I still think you’re wrong), but if you’re willing to give it a chance, I recommend watching it.

“Underworld Evolution.” Battle for dominion over all humanity. Kind of grotesque – definitely grotesque – but not horrible. Recommend renting over going to a movie theatre, if only because it’s easier to hide then when blood starts spewing everywhere, but don't go near it if you're not a fan of action-adventure/horror. All in all, I thought it was a decent follow-up to the first “Underworld,” although an unmistakable sequel.

“Family Stone.” Kind of like “Meet the Parents,” but less funny, more content, and it’s not the parents’ faults. Specifically, I liked this and I didn’t like “Meet the Parents.” (I know, I know – blasphemy. Tough nuggets. Thought it was dumb.) However, it took till the end for me to really respect it. This movie has the potential to be a tearjerker (I almost cried, and I’ve only cried during three movies, none of which was “Titanic”) at some points, and you tend to side with each character at least once. Again, I recommend renting this one – and watching it with a bunch of girls.

Those are the ones I’ve been to so far … “Casanova,” “Nanny McPhee,” and “Hoodwinked” are up on my to-watch list. Any comments?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review