The LaPlace Domain

Quick rant: my process control class is driving me batty. It's really just differential equations all over again. Not DifEQ 2, mind you. Just a repeat. I'd much rather be learning something new. At the very least, it wouldn't feel like such a waste.

Argh.

At least I'm not alone in that feeling. Sir Calvert seems to feel the same way ("seems" is being too general ... he rants loudly about his disdain for the class), and all of us chem-es just giggle when S.A. mentions MathCAD.

(Tee hee!)

I shouldn't complain too loudly. This is, after all, the Internet, and besides, it could be much worse. For instance, there is at least one professor that I'm tremendously relieved isn't teaching the class. I'll take S.A. any day over the other dude.

I remember the days when I really, truly cared about my classes ... Those days aren't completely gone, but sometimes they feel obviously absent. I'm enjoying what I'm doing (for the most part), although I've determined that I'm not particularly ready nor interested in being a design engineer just yet. I'll take the process engineer life, thank you very much. Hard hats and steel-toed boots, not cubicles. Trouble shooting, not creating trouble.

Perhaps. Or maybe I'll do some country hopping. (If I were to win the lottery ... oh yeah, have to buy a ticket first.) Maybe I'll have some lag time between graduation and training for my "real job."

If I could come up with the money for both the trip and to sustain myself through the summer and next fall, I'd go to Sri Lanka this summer ... but alas, that doesn't look possible, either.

Time for a poll. What should I do with my life? Any suggestions?


I wanna be better than oxygen
So you can breathe when you're drowning and weak in the knees
I wanna speak louder than Ritalin
For all the children who think that they've got a disease
I wanna be cooler than t.v.
For all the kids that are wondering what they are going to be ...
--Willie Mason, "Oxygen"

Comments

daz said…
good poll question, as i've been asking myself that now for a long time. the answer i keep returning to is do whatever will make you happy regardless of what that actually is (ie working in a lab or being a cleaning lady)
Anonymous said…
Darren pretty much summed up my general feeling as well. I remember a quote from one of my teachers "follow your bliss". That's the rule of wrist I like to follow now a days. But, personally, I think you should find yourself a flock of lamas and become a nomad. I think it would be cool to have a friend that's a nomad :)
Anonymous said…
playing catchup today---good quote. And yes whatever makes you happy is a good answer if you want to avoid the question. The only problem with someone else answering that question...how do they know? What makes you happy and what can you stand doing for a good period of time? Do that for a while and go from there.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review