Traffic Report

Traffic in good ol' RC cracks me up.

Hold on, let me set this one up. I was on my way back from the Evil Empire and I had to laugh, because sometimes that's the only reaction for something like this.

Okay, okay, so that wasn't much of a set-up, but it'll do.

There's this one prevailing occurance with traffic around here; yellow lights are little more than pretty road decorations. They don't mean, "Hey, that light's about to turn red -- maybe I should stop." They mean, "That poor sucker three cars behind me isn't going to make it."

Doesn't matter just how yellow it is (that is, if it's still slightly greenish yellow, or more orange, or just hitting its stride); experienced drivers won't hit their brakes. Why? Because the guys behind them won't hit their brakes, either. The ones who do slow down seem to mysteriously have out-of-state plates, especially in the May to September time frame.

I ended up behind a Corvette (newish) with vanity plates that read "FACTORY." Is there some meaning that I'm missing, or is that really as random as it seems? Probably means something to the dude driving.

Anyway, as I was contemplating the meaning of "FACTORY," I realized that this could be a brilliant ploy. If I ever have vanity plates, I'm going to have a hard time coming up with anything with any meaning -- so I'd probably pick a random 7-letter word, or possibly 7 random letters. Think about that; I can't be the only one who'd get a kick out of watching people try to sound out "SNFRGLX" as they drive down the road, reading my plates.

Makes me giggle just thinking about it.

Can't concentrate on a thing ... Sheesh. Too much homework to do to have this little of an attention span.

Anyway ...

I'm on my own for the weekend ... Andy & Ashli are taking off, and I seem to have trouble tracking people down when I get bored. Maybe another movie. Ooh, and maybe Harney Peak ... Weather permitting, I guess. This is South Dakota, after all. Could be 70 degrees out, could be blizzarding.

Gotta love it, I guess. At least gotta put up with it ... or move to Nebraska. (Nope, that's your only other option. Put up with it, or it's off to Nebraska with you.)


Why do we say something is out of whack? What's in whack?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your plate theory might work, if it was legal.
Custom licence plates need to be set apart and are not allowed to appear random. It the law, you should really read it sometime.
Ashley said…
I suppose that makes sense, for general remembrance purposes (thinking in terms of your car being sighted at the scene of a crime -- although if you're going to commit a crime using a car with vanity plates, you deserve to be caught). Kind of takes the fun out of things, though. Can't say as I've had any particular desire to read up on the laws regarding license plates, short of knowing they need to be visible at all times.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review