Holiday Of "Love"

A couple of good days in biochemistry, an up-and-down weekend, a near death experience with a betta (poor Lester was floating sideways and spasming, but he's better now), and the impending doom of the Worst Holiday Ever, and this evening you find me ... conflicted.

Leadership nominatinos (or nominations, for those keeping track) are up in InterVarsity, and I have no idea where I'm going to fit in next year, or entirely sure I want to. The irony here is that I wasn't originally going to do much this year, but when last spring's nominations came around ... Eesh. I guess we'll see where things go this year.

Before I rant about Valentine's Day, a quick round of self-defense: I'm not a total Scrooge. I actually enjoy holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, and the Fourth of July especially), despite my rants on this thing to the contrary. I am, however annoyed by the over-corporation of some genuinely meaningful days, and rants aren't really about the positive aspects of life.

I reserve true, passionate hatred for Valentine's Day.

Maybe the underlying, somewhat sappy meaning behind the day isn't so bad; tell the one you love how you feel. BUT.

But then Russell Stover and Hallmark got to it, and ... Here we are.

For the first time in my life, I was looking forward to V-Day last year, but it wasn't because it was V-Day -- it was because it was February 14th. Yes, there was a distinction. But alas, not this year, so now I can feel the true ick that I previously held for this (kind of stupid) holiday. In favor of not going on for the next two hours about this, I shall present this rant in numbered form.

#1: Love should be expressed often, not just when commercials tell you it's time. If that's the only reason you're saying it, maybe you need to reevaluate.

#2: You shouldn't need a reminder in the first place.

#3: Diamonds, roses, and chocolate might help you out when you're in trouble, might serve as a Band-Aid when you screw up, might look really nice, smell good, taste amazing (in that order, unless your girlfriend/wife has a weird fascination with roses). But they're not the way to a girl's heart. Each girl has her own path, but odds are it's not through stereotypical possessions. (Well, maybe through chocolate.) Oh, and not all that many girls are as crazy about roses in the first place. Do YOU know what your girlfriend/wife's favorite flower is?

#4: The "perfect" gift for him is bloody hard to find, and probably not exactly what you had in mind. Valentine's Day is designed for women, and any wife or girlfriend who's gone shopping knows it. I'm not saying don't try, but I am saying that success on V-Day should be based elsewhere. Try doing something he wants to do instead, and save the money you would spend on the cologne YOU like to spend on sports tickets or his upcoming birthday present.

#5: You're not a loser just because you don't have a date on Valentine's Day. Take me for example -- no, wait, don't count me. I go to a school where the guys outnumber the girls 5-to-1 (on average), and I'm mostly single. I'm probably not a good comparison. But the bottom line is, there are a lot of people who don't have dates, and just because a few of your friends do doesn't mean anything about you. Take it as an opportunity to do something on your own, get some "me time" in. Coffee, a concert, a play ... I don't recommend a movie, but only because there aren't very many creative couples out there and the theatres will be overrun. Rent something, pop some popcorn, and kick your feet up. Relax for once.

So tonight, buy her a tulip, cook her favorite meal, and take her to a movie. Why? Just because. Ignore the commercials on TV and do your own thing. Oh, and save the diamonds for a real event.


There is absolutely no substitute for genuine unpreparedness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review