First Post Of The New Year

Ah, the Muse strikes. Unfortunately, the Muse only chooses to strike when the Blogger main page is down, so who knows when this will get posted. Oh well.

It is the first day of the rest of my life. Or maybe it's the last day of my life so far ... Hmm. Either way, it's the first day of 2004.

The next question to face: what will we be presented with in this new year?

The answer? I don't know ... what were you presented with in 2003? Chances are good it won't be too terribly different, unless of course you're my sister's age and graduating in five months. I personally am facing the possibility of moving out for real in a few months, but other than that, it's just another year. I've finally hit a stride in my life where things don't change all that much, even if a big lit up ball just dropped in New York City (which of course means everything's different now from how it was yesterday).

Not to be cynical or anything.

I guess I'm not a big fan of, say, New Year's resolutions. Millions of people the world over use this as an opportunity to say, "Hey, I'm going to change myself now! I'm going to be a better person! I'm going to lose weight, cheer up, and ... oh, heck with it. Where's the booze?"

I'd rather take the view of one of my teachers from high school--a view that was passed to him from his football coach. This coach used a question mark as a symbol, and told him that every time he looked at it to ask himself, "What have I done TODAY to make myself a better man?"

Granted, I'm not looking to be a better man. No gender changes are in my future. However, it's a good philosophy. Don't put off till New Year's what you can start changing immediately. After all, if it's really important, if it's really worth it, why waste your time waiting?

(Besides, I'm fine the way I am. Who needs a resolution? ... Ha, ha ... Oh, that wasn't funny.)

There's not a whole lot of sense in the word, anyway. Resolution. Think about this. First, there's the root of this word, "resolve" (or, digging deeper, "solve"). To resolve something is to make a decision about it. However, the term "resolution" itself is often used to express the end of something, as in a book or movie reaching it's final resolution. Taking that view, New Year's resolutions aren't particularly cheerful. "I'm going to lose weight ... but that's the end." Ew. Dieting to the end, very nice.

Well, my Muse is taking a coffee break, so my material is going downhill.

I've been given several topics for tonight's blog, and I think I might touch on a couple (as long as I can get this thing posted before midnight, I'm good).

Cheese. Cheese is good. Now, if your family is like my family--and for your sake I hope not--you've had a lot of run-ins with strange food. Cheese is no exception. When I was little, the term "American cheese" confused me, but I knew enough to know I didn't like brie (and that hasn't changed). Now, these things are normal. Kind of. I can only eat half of them (my body rejects overly processed items), but they're good, provided I'm at home, not at school eating cafeteria food. There, the cheese takes on a strange, rubbery cardboard property (betcha didn't know a food could be both rubbery AND cardboard-like at the same time).

Addictive card games. What needs to be specified before we can get into this is whether we're discussing multiple-person games or solitaire. I've heard plenty of people that claim they're addicted to computer solitaire. Fine, whatever. I myself tend more towards cribbage. But are they really addicting?

That depends on your definition of addiction. Do you go through withdrawal if you don't play? Then you're probably addicted. I don't, but I suffer from a different affliction. If I'm sitting by a deck of cards, I pick them up, shuffle for awhile, then spontaneously start dealing out cards for cribbage solitaire. I think that's probably an equal sign of addiction.

Well, I think I've exhausted my brain enough for one day. Adieu.


Keep your nose to the grindstone and your shoulder to the wheel... it's cheaper than plastic surgery.

When you find yourself getting irritated with someone, try to remember that all men are brothers ... and just give them a noogie or an Indian burn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review