Oddities

Life seems odd now.

I don't know why, exactly. Things just seem stranger than usual the last few days, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm only sitting in the computer lab because I managed to lock myself out of my room for the seventh time this year (not kidding, it's actually happened seven times) and I borrowed Jesse's keys so I could leave. I'm a sophomore. I'm not supposed to lock myself out anymore. But HOLY COW, am I having problems with it.

Anyway, back to the strangeness.

I'm still not sure why things seem strange. I suppose it's more because I keep thinking about how my life used to be, back at home. Let me lay it out for you.

At home, I had known the same people for years. They had all known each other even longer. Personalities never changed much. If something happened, everyone knew within an hour, and if you didn't, you could claim you were the last to know. I spent a solid seven hours--at least--at school each weekday, and Saturdays at whatever sport was in season. During the fall, each and every Saturday was spent at band competitions, from early morning till late afternoon. Winter was the homework season. Spring was devoted to soccer. Summer, chores. Classes went just as fast as the slowest person. Homework was easy and short. Tests weren't always studied for, but always passed. Guys weren't worth the time. Friends were fun, but not always a priority. Parents controlled all. Each and every day had a structure, a routine that had to be followed. Things were done in a specific order each time, with little or no variation.

Now, things are different. I came here knowing one person. Then, I started to change--for the better. I finally had the freedom to let my personality wander, to let things improve. Things happen at home or at school and it takes time to get around. Days are different. Classes are a little more sporadic, and are scheduled in such a way to allow maximum meal time. Homework is a must, and a priority. Studying is required unless you desperately don't want to be here. Friends are life, and suddenly there are guys worth devoting time to. Things get done when it's convenient, not just because that's how that day is supposed to go. Showers are allowed at any hour, laundry gets done when you have the time and quarters, and Wal-Mart is fit in whenever you run out of Goldfish. And every once in awhile, you call your parents to let them know what you've been up to.

Life is good here, but it's different. More so than anyone ever warned me, but that's okay. It was definitely worth the surprise.


I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review