One Of Those Days

Well, today is going to be a day of blurbs.

Obviously the big news today is the Great Northeast Blackout. I know this is no laughing matter, but I can't help but giggle. Why? Because I'm a cold, heartless wench. Just ask Barb.

In all seriousness, this is one of those thousands of things I'll refer to when I'm talking to my kids. "Yup, Mom saw that happen, too," I'll say, feeling my age. "And I laughed. But it wasn't really funny. That's just the way I was."

Anyway, I suppose something like this was bound to happen. What are the chances the problem will relate to computers eventually? The blackout had to have spread somehow, right? And, let's face it, computers are made to crash and make things difficult for puny humans like us. When they take over the world, they'll laugh, too.

Leno was talking about a school in ... Ohio? ... where they set up a detox center right on campus.

Hmm. And here I thought Techies drank too much.

Barb suggested I talk about jackalopes, hairy chickens, and roommate selection committees. Well, the second I have no opinion about. I'm not sure where that was coming from.

Jackalopes are an interesting creation of someone's twisted sense of humor, however. Some of you may remember the jackalope from an ancient home video show (I don't think it was "America's Funniest Home Videos" ... Actually, I think it ran at about the same time) with Dave Coulier of "Full House" fame. You want to see one? Drive through Oacoma, SD, where there is a big jackalope statue, somewhere in the general vicinity of Al's Oasis.

Only in South Dakota.

Then again, South Dakota is a state like that. Just enough off for people to know it exists but not be able to find it on a map, and not quite populated enough for big-city people to think we have have common things like, oh, indoor plumbing.

Actually, that leads to funny stories. I know one guy who was asked where South Dakota was in reference to North Dakota. Think about that for a second, then realize that he told the woman who asked that it was east of NoDak, and she believed him.

Personally, I've been asked, WHILE IN A CHAT ROOM, if we had electricity. I told the guy no, that I was pedalling a bicycle to generate enough current to run my computer. (That there Internet is exhaustin'.)

But, I love it, which is why I'm still in good ol' SoDak. Granted, now I'm in the other half of the state, and holy culture shock--East River and West River are two different worlds. If you live here, you understand. If you don't, it's rather hard to explain. Just trust me on that one.

Still, school here is awesome, except for the whole roomie thing. (Hey, you knew I had to tie that in somehow!) My roommate last year, chosen by said committee, wasn't horrible. It definitely could have been worse. However, we couldn't have been more different. The only thing I think we had in common was our ... tolerance for a messy room. I'll give you a clue: we could both tolerate it WAAAAY too much.

I slept there, and I checked my email from there. Other than that, I made no attempt to do ANYTHING in there. There wasn't enough floor space.

So, this year, I bypass the committee and room with Ashli. Should be interesting, at least when people call our room.

Hmmm, "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy." I'm curious about this show, but being that I'm cable/satellite-deprived and get only eight channels (hmm, not helping the SoDak image here...), I won't see it till I go to school. For now, I'll stick with things like this Leno appearance and amuse myself that way.

And ... Yup.

My day was dull. We went swimming, and the Holy Terror was the Sweet Little Angel today. We think his mother had a little chat with him, but whatever she did, she's a saint.

My accomplishment: I made a belt. I've been going through a creative phase lately. I've now made three pillows, two belts, I'm working on a purse, and I'm going to get the rest of the stuff for a necklace. I have some beads, but no appropriate string, and I have some charms I want to buy.

My belt looks good. And my pillows. My first belt's not as good as this one, but it works.

Now, I do believe I'm done. I'll talk to all of you people later.


"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review