More Stuff From Me

My sister keeps saying "wog." Now, those of you who know her won't really question this, but those of you who don't are saying, "What the hell?" I just tried to explain to her why they're called "blogs," that is, short for weblog, and she just asked why they weren't called something else, like "wogs."

Now, does that make more sense? No? Then you DO understand my sister. Congratulations.

My topics today: crybabies, stupid people, and my biggest pet peeve.

Okay, okay. So maybe I shouldn't complain about crybabies, or as some of you might say, "hypersenstive people." But the truth of the matter is, I'm getting annoyed. When I was little, I was a crybaby. In the privacy of my own home. I would have died of humiliation had I cried in public. There's only ONE kid at work who fits into the crybaby category. Case in point? He came crying to us six times in the time I was there. That's only in the course of five hours. Once, he was hurt. (He hit his knee. No blood. No bruise.) The other five times, somebody had done something or called him stupid. I do NOT condone calling someone stupid (although there are those who deserve it from time to time), but most people shake it off and leave (or call the other person something meaner). He cries.

And it's annoying, okay?

Regarding stupid people--Well, I see from my previous paragraph that already I have written myself into a corner. Oh well. The thing is, stupid people annoy me. I'm talking about those whose IQs are not below normal, and they haven't suffered any genuine brain damage. Those who are just plain ignorant by their own doing. They annoy me. Really, I think they annoy everyone. And I do believe there's something in the "eyes-are-too-close-together" theory. For the first time, I've met someone whose eyes really ARE too close together, and she really IS rather stupid.

However, these don't compare to my annoyance with the phrase "I hate people who _____" or any version of that ("I hate people who do that," "I hate ____ [fill in nationality/religion/sexual preference/choice of bubblegum] people who ___"). Don't take this to be a hippocritical statement. I don't hate people who use that phrase. Some of the people I respect the most use it, and 98% of the human population has uttered it at some point in time. It annoys me, just like some people can't stand the use of double negatives or the so-called word "ain't."

My annoyance comes with my strong dislike for being lied to. Chances are good that, when you use this particular phrase, it's a flat-out lie. Hate is a strong word. I'd be willing to bet you don't hate them. Subconsciously, you know you don't. Heck, CONSCIOUSLY you probably know you don't. They bug you, maybe severely. However, in using that phrase, you just lied to me, and, as far as I'm concerned, that's a serious offense (I work with little kids. When they lie to you, it's a bad thing. And eventually that gets ingrained into your attitude).

It especially bothers me when Christians use it, as some of my high school youth group buddies used to (and possibly still do). That goes against the whole "love your neighbor" idea--you can love someone but still not like what they're doing, in which case the phrase "I hate it when people ____" would be much more fitting.

But to change this is to change someone's speaking habits, much like trying to get someone to stop swearing, and it's not the most fruitful journey. So for now, I suppose I can put up with it, and try not to get mad when I hear it.

Argh.

Hmm. Just took some time to read a couple of other (anonymous) blogs. Some people take themselves far too seriously. Such is the world we live in, I suppose. Oh well.


More from Homer Simpson:

"You couldn't fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine."

"Don't let Krusty's death get you down, boy. People die all the time. Just like that. Why, you could wake up dead tomorrow. Well, good night."

"Stealing! How could you? Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain What's-his-name?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review