Hmmm...

Well then ... That last entry is a bit disturbing, even to me. Still, I stand by it. EW.

My sister says I should talk about piercings and tattoos and why people seem to "need" them to prove their individuality.

Actually, it's interesting she brings this up, as I was thinking about it earlier.

It's hard to understand the proving individuality idea. Take piercings; first of all, it's not a very unique thing to do anymore. It's a trend, which just makes you fit in more with the "in-crowd." Tattoos offer a little more leeway for the individual, like the design itself. But the truth of the matter is, either way, various forms of body mutilation (don't deny it) are the trend.

I feel secure in saying this for the simple fact that I've wanted a tattoo since I was twelve, and as soon as I have the money to spend, I fully intend to get one. Keep in mind that this wasn't "cool" when I decided I liked them (about the time I was nine, ten years ago). Punk rockers and bikers had tattoos, and the idea scared any parent of any kid about to hit eighteen. Now, things have changed. Parents are a bit more accepting, schools won't shun you for it (Look, in SoDak ten years ago, schools did. We're still coming out of the nineteenth century in some respects.), and some kids have the spending money to do it.

Personally, I don't like piercings much. Some are tame enough. Ears, tongues ... It's when you get to piercing things that either A) should NOT have metal poking through them or B) don't really offer enough skin to be pierced that I get grossed out. Like eyebrows. Ouch. Or your nose, which is particularly tough cartilage. Tongues don't bug me just because I know how fast they heal, and belly buttons don't bother me as much, either, although I wonder about some people that do it. And I'm not going NEAR any non-public, hidden-by-more-than-one-layer-of-clothing piercings. Ew.

Both have their risks. Infection, disease, humiliation, and the like. Piercings offer one form of comfort, however; if you change your mind, you take out the ring (or whatever) and the piercing heals over. If you change your mind with a tattoo, you have a problem to deal with for the rest of your life.

Something to think about, I guess.

Jesse's telling me to talk about kitchen utensils, but I don't know why or what to say. That's a bit odd, Jesse. ("Spatulaaaa Cityyyyy!")

I'm going through some of the old one-liners I used to gather (yes, I'm a nerd, thank you), and I've stumbled across this one particular ad that got me. It reads, "NICE PARACHUTE: NEVER OPENED - USED ONCE. SLIGHTLY STAINED." Yay!

I think that's all I've got for now. Talk to you people later. (Yes, even you, as long as you're a people.)


"Marge, you're as pretty as Princess Leia and as smart as Yoda." --Homer Simpson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review