Small Town Trap

I'm going to have a cruel moment here; I have one kid at work who I have to keep holding back a, "Holy cow, no wonder the other kids don't want to play with you!"

Needless to say, she's getting on my nerves. She seems sweet enough, until she tattles or suddenly goes clingy on you. Then she starts to get annoying. And although I feel sorry for her sometimes, there are equal times I want to kick her in the butt, get her to cut it out and stop ruining the fun for other kids.

The only other real complaint I have about these guys involves the older boys. ONE of them is fine. I have no issues with him. Maybe two. The rest of them have a tendency toward general meanness and annoying attitudes toward the other kids and the staff--mostly the other kids. One in particular has this amazing ability to be obnoxious and louder than anyone else I've met (if you know me, you know how loud some people I deal with are).

And here enters the Eve 6 song title I ripped.

Most of these guys will never grow out of it. You can tell already, just in the fact that they've been acting like this for several years already, and some of their dads act the same way. And the same goes for the girl. Their paths are almost all already carved out for them. The girl will grow up and get married, thinking she won't be able to survive life as a single, and thirty or forty years from now she'll wonder why she has never been completely happy. The guys will grow up, getting in and out of trouble as they please. Since they go to school here, they'll probably never stray too far from home, keeping the friends they already have and never completely growing up.

Honestly, it's all much too predictable. Some of these kids have entirely different stories. I can see them going on to bigger and better things, getting out of town and into the real world. But some of them are perfect reflections of some of the adults and older kids around here, with no real ambition to leave. To be harshly honest, they just don't have as much ahead of them as their parents and teachers all tell them they do, barring a major change in personality and attitude.

A lot of people out there are probably not thrilled with my comments here, and may call me cynical. To them I ask--have you ever lived in a small town? I'm being realistic. I've seen how this works. I don't by any means like it, and I'd love to see every single one of these kids overcome it and get out of here, but, well, chances are slim.

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review