What's Keeping Me Awake Tonight

or "Why my birthday actually scares me"

Okay, so the alternate title doesn't really apply. My birthday doesn't scare me. As of now, I don't really fear aging and this year in particular it doesn't seem to mean much. (I was supposed to be going to space camp. Sigh. The full disappointment hasn't hit yet.)

However, the sudden realization that my birthday is only a couple weeks away scares me, and it does this every year.

Allow me to explain. I made you a chart.

See, it has everything to do with the eventfulness of it all...


Mind you, this only includes immediate family members -- no aunts or cousins -- and I only threw in the holidays where family gathering would normally occur (so Mother's Day is in there but I didn't count Halloween).

The real catch? Those April and May events happen almost entirely in a 21-day period. In that single three week chunk, there are four birthdays, an anniversary, and a holiday. Then, just for fun, we get June -- which is another 21-day chunk for three birthdays, two anniversaries, and a holiday. Oh, and Memorial Day is between those two as a little break.

And so tonight I found myself freaking out because this time of year is once again upon us, and once again I forgot until about 5 days before. Perhaps it's time for me to do some kind of shopping, or at least find some gift certificates to send... Self-quarantine takes a big chunk of the fun out of birthday presents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review