Springing Forward

After a winter entirely lacking in activity, it seems only natural that everything would start to happen at once.

Really, isn't that just the way it works most of the time?

It all started when Shorty was home for spring break. He started egging me on as far as this summer was concerned; not much later, I exchanged a few emails with my former boss and before I knew it, I had agreed to return to Storm for the summer.

It's possible I've never overthought something as much as that decision. In the end, it boiled down to a very basic decision: do the truly adult thing and continue looking for something longer-term here in Sioux Falls, or embrace my youth and the chance to go back. Once I realized that a) this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking forward to when I was first presented with my gypsy year, b) I can hang out with Shorty for the summer, which I haven't done since he was old enough to be much fun, and c) I may never get a chance like this again, I decided to go back.

I really, truly, can not wait.

Last week, my dad got a phone call carrying news that was considerably less than exciting. My grandfather, who had bypass surgery something like six years ago, has to have a stent put in later this week. It's supposed to be a single overnight deal (a fairly minor procedure) but requires him to take it easy afterwards for awhile, particularly when it comes to lifting. Oh, and it's calving season.

Luckily for my grandparents, they have a granddaughter with some time on her hands. On Wednesday, I'm headed west for an as-yet-undetermined length of time to make myself useful.

Hopefully his procedure goes smoothly and there are no surprises.

In any case, my own next few months have suddenly and abruptly fallen into place. And so it is that spring begins...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review