A Spring-y Day

There is an episode of "Scrubs" called "My Journey." The whole episode is "Wizard of Oz"-themed and it's ... well, pretty funny. In the opening segment, JD gets called in on his day off and as he's riding his scooter to work, he's hitting as many pothole puddles as possible. This leads to him landing in one particularly large puddle and disappearing from sight, resurfacing in another pothole a few feet further down. "Where was I?!"

I tell you this because I want you to have the proper mental picture when I say I was encountering Oz-like puddles on my trip into town.

They're fierce.

After near-record snowfall and all sorts of cold weather, the city streets have been thoroughly trounced by frost heave. Add some sunshine to melt the drifts and you have a somewhat treacherous seven-mile journey for yours truly.

I won't complain too loudly. The weather is perfect. I got to wear sandals today for the first time (showing off my lime green toes rather well). The potholes are just going to have to be dealt with because across-the-board budget cuts to government programs mean that they won't necessarily be fixed as quickly as they usually are. And while I'd like to be working right now, at least I get to enjoy the weather.

Today is an "it is what it is" kind of day, and I kind of like it.

In two weeks the story could be quite different. This fantastic weather is likely to bring on similarly record flooding and eastern SoDak is bound to get messy. I won't even go near what else is going on in the world -- things like Libya and Japan make any problems around here not seem so bad. I mean, what is flooding -- with lots of advanced warning -- or something personal like joblessness compared to a nuclear disaster? (On a related note, is it possible that those NFL players could use a similar dose of perspective?)

For now, I enjoy what I can and do my best to stay out of Oz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review