Out

The first drive I remember taking to let off steam was in college.

I was stressed. It was sophomore year and I won't go into the details; suffice it to say that there were work-related, class-related, and personal things going on and I suddenly couldn't cope. At least, not in the middle of a dorm filled with loud, obnoxious, well-meaning friends. I needed out.

That habit continued throughout college -- my Flying Jeep was my escape as long as I had five bucks for gas. So it was less than surprising when that habit continued after I moved to Wisconsin; the first drive I remember taking here took me south of town. I have no idea how far I drove or how long I was gone (although I can say I tested the governor on my brother's car -- my temporary loaner between the Flying Jeep and Sophie -- and it goes higher than I expected), and to be honest I'm still not totally sure where I ended up.

What started tonight as a late-night post office run (which is what happens when you leave a letter in your purse for two extra days) turned into an almost-an-hour jaunt north. For the first time in months, I was finding roads I'd never seen before, and it was beautiful.

I love a night drive. Somehow things just come back into focus.

Comments

Stickman said…
Random drives are the best. I love them on a motorcycle, but it's actually better in a four wheeled vehicle. You can pay more attention to the world around you. You've inspired me to search new roads again!

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review