Wine, Cheese, And Moving Trucks

A week of radio silence is rare for me, especially when I'm actually in town. For that -- I don't apologize. I was saving you, my three readers, from utter nonsense this week.

It didn't start well. The Admiral announced on Sunday that he had (finally) gotten an offer on his house, and by Monday afternoon the papers had been signed. By the end of February, he will be living in Minneapolis.

No longer will my tango partner live in town ... No longer will I have a reliable date for community events ... No longer will the office ring with absurdly loud laughter (well, at least not on our end of the building) ... And for that matter, that's one more of the original Cool Table to go missing.

Yeah. It kind of sucks.

But life must go on, so now I'm going to pester him into hanging out with me as much as possible for the next few weeks ... And there was plenty going on this week to provide such opportunities.

The week ended on a much higher note (okay, I know, it's not over yet -- it's still Saturday morning -- but I intend to take it pretty easy today and enjoy my weekend). Much higher.

Last night was the 10th annual Wine, Cheese and All That Jazz, a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club here in town. It's just what it sounds like -- wine sampling, cheese tables (along with seemingly endless other appetizers), and jazz music from the Bob Case Quintet (which, if you're familiar with local musicians, looks a lot like a section of the John Greiner SwingShift Big Band). Silent auctions, contests with flashing diamond pins -- and all for a great cause.

Best of all, this year it was sold out by ... Tuesday? Apparently word has spread about the awesomeness of the night.

Following about three-quarters
of a tango class, the Admiral and I joined Neubs and her husband at this event (and in the process ran into about eighteen other familiar faces). Let me tell you -- this is hands down one of the most glamorous events in this town. Somehow I had forgotten since last year just how decked out people get. For that matter, it brings out every socioeconomic circle of the town, too, which means it's a great time to stand back and people watch.

Suffice it to say that it was a blast from the social beginning to the swing-dance-off end.

Afterwards there was yet more dancing at a nearby bar (which was largely a relocation of a bunch of us from WC&ATJ).

It was an awesome night. And my feet are killing me.

All I wish now is that I had taken some pictures ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review