Days Like Today

Days like today make me very, very happy I have a flexible job ... and a forgiving boss ... and new tires on my car ... and a sturdy shovel.

Let's not forget hot coffee and fully stocked baking goods, leftover Chinese, and the ability to talk to people in times zones fifteen hours ahead of your own.

Yes, I think it's safe to say I've had a good fake snow day. I got up ridiculously early (at least for me), got mostly ready for the day, and talked to Mia Sorella for a couple hours. (We were both definitely in need of some sisterly time.) My lovely moderately flexible job let me work from home today for the most part, which worked out nicely -- I got to shovel my sidewalks in daylight, at least. Plus I couldn't have left before the plows came through at 11:30 anyway, so I was doubly lucky I could work from the comfort of my living room.

The evening is ending, and on a somewhat conflicted note. I've mixed up rolls for tomorrow -- that's good. My kitchen is clean, which is great. I'm watching a movie, which is somewhat relaxing (although it's made me cry twice now, which is practically unheard of -- I just don't cry at movies).

Best of all, Andyman called. He was leaving for Baghdad today and his flight got delayed. Lucky for me, really, since that meant he had time to call me.

He's leaving in a matter of hours for his third tour. Like the first two rounds, there's that twinge of worry ... but there's an odd excitement, too. When he gets back, he'll be done with school and he and his lovely wife will be moving to Washington (the state, not the district) where he's fortunate enough to have found a job.

Yep, I'm excited for them. And not just because this gives me the perfect excuse to go to Washington.

And so my fake snow day is drawing to a close. I'm going to finish this movie and one more lesson in my hazmat refresher ... and then crash. Tomorrow things get back to mostly normal, and I need to be up for that.

Have a good night, folks, and stay warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review