The Bright Side

When I was younger, Daylight Savings was magical to me.

Anybody else out there who had that odd delusion?

Perhaps I should explain. Way back when I had a bedtime, it was moderately early. In the winter, it didn't matter -- the sun set hours before, and I got too cold when I was outside anyway. But in the spring, all I wanted was to stay outside ... but the sun would set and I'd have to find other ways to amuse myself. (It just wasn't as fun when there wasn't dirt involved.)

When Daylight Savings hit, it meant I had a whole extra hour I could be outside. In the summer, it carried all the way TO my bedtime, and I could watch the sun set from my bedroom. It was the best time of year.

In my older and wiser years, I love Daylight Savings ... in the fall. When I can get an extra hour of sleep.

However, driving to work on Monday I realized there was something pretty cool about the spring end of things. For the first time in ... awhile, I got to see the sun come up.

During school, you could forget about seeing me at sunup hours. However, most of the jobs I've had, I've been able to see the sunrise. When I was doing bridge inspections, we were usually halfway through our first bridge by the time the sun peeked over the horizon. During my daycare stint, it happened while I was getting ready for work. At Storm, I caught a glimpse on my walk to the kitchen during early shifts and after breakfast on winter ski trip weekends. When I was in Russia, I got to see it at about 3AM. And when I was a labrat, I caught it every test day.

The catch? For the last five years, it happened over the Hills. Those who have seen a sunrise or sunset from behind mountains (or hills) know that it's obstructed when it is at its most colorful. While it's still beautiful, something is missing.

This week, I've seen it over the water. And it's been awesome.

Besides, let's face it -- what's an hour time difference anyway?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review