Planes, Trains, And A Christmas Blog

If anything can go wrong, it will.
-Murphy's Law

There's been a rash of bad weather all across the Midwest the last few days (and most of you just said, "Um, yeah, Ashley, we live here too"). As usual with bad weather, things get complicated. I ended up coming home early and Jeepless; my sister, on the other hand, got stuck in Chicago.

Yep. She's on her way home from Italy, and first there were fog issues out of Heathrow in London ... and then her flight from Chicago to Omaha got cancelled. We drove to Omaha before we knew she wouldn't be there ... Yuck. Actually, until about half an hour ago, we weren't totally sure she would make it before Christmas.

Luckily, as long as things go moderately smoothly now, she'll be home tomorrow night. Yay! I've missed my sister ... Christmas just wouldn't have felt right without her, especially if she was only nine hours away (although my parents would have possibly driven to Chicago to get her, if that's what it took).

It was, however, a reminder of the people I know who WON'T be home for Christmas ... Namely, Danielle, currently in St. Petersburg, and Andy, who is in Baghdad. To both of you, I wish you the best possible Christmas, and I'll look forward to seeing you when you're back in the States!


It's Christmas time again and you're not home
Your family is here and yet you're somewhere else alone
So tonight I pray that God will come and hold you in His arms
And I'll tell you from my heart
I wish you a merry Christmas
-Third Day, "Merry Christmas" from Christmas Offerings


I think I'm finally starting to feel Christmas-y. It took longer than usual this year; there were so many interruptions, things that made it NOT feel like December. At last, at last, reality is setting in ... It's December 22nd! It's almost time! The department stores have been far too excited for an awful long time ... Now it's my turn to get caught up. Candy and gifts and wrapping paper and a massive tree ... Yay. Good stuff.

And so much more. Do you remember why we celebrate? Do you remember why Christmas is here at all? I forgot or at least chose to ignore it, and somewhere in there I stopped feeling it. It's been too long ...

On that note, I think I'll get to it. This will likely be the last of my blogging till at least Tuesday. I hope you all have a wonderful, blessed Christmas!


The season has felt so empty
Oh, for quite a while
I wanna feel Christmas ... like a child
-Third Day, "Christmas Like A Child" from Christmas Offerings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review