Summer ... Soon

Thou wast all that to me, love,
For which my soul did pine--
A green isle in the sea, love,
A fountain and a shrine,
All wreathed with fairy fruits and flowers,
And all the flowers were mine.


It is the last week of the semester, and Edgar Allan Poe is in my head.

Sounds morbid, I suppose, but I'm reading some of his works for my American lit class, which I have been horrifically procrastinating on. Alas, this can't happen anymore, since the semester is very nearly over.

Summer is getting closer. The campus is starting to brighten; slowly, slowly, students get to walk back into the sunlight. Haggard, sleep-deprived, hungry, and pale from the incessant glare of fluorescent lights, we are starting to see the end. Come Friday, things will get crazy; around here, finals week is a relief. Projects are over, papers are turned in, and there will be no more homework due. What's a couple of tests?

In my case, a few essays, too. Back to that procrastinating thing.

Summer. Blissful, hot, relaxing, 40-hours-a-week-of-work-but-homework-free summer. Time to get caught up on everything we've been missing. In my case, it's a reading list that got considerably longer since I started buying books at Borders. It's the opportunity to hike more (this past weekend renewed my need for the Hills), to sleep more (well, maybe not), to see all the people I haven't seen in the last few months (hopefully). It's time to re-evaluate and refresh.

Desperately needed, I might add. Most aspects of my life are currently in dry spells, and that's not good.

Ah, summer ...


And all my days are trances,
And all my nightly dreams
Are where thy dark eye glances,
And where thy footstep gleams--
In what ethereal dances
By what eternal streams.

-Edgar Allan Poe, "To One in Paradise"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review