Character Building

Despite my best efforts, I can't seem to concentrate on the homework in front of me. I find myself typing in here yet again in avoidance of said work.

I've been reading Pride and Prejudice for a class focusing on Jane Austen's work, and while reading for tomorrow's assignment, I got carried away and managed to finish the book. It's something completely different than what I used to read; until recently, I was drawn almost entirely to crime novels (Patricia Cornwell, John Case, and the like). While I still enjoy those, I've been working through a few more serious books as well -- Fahrenheit 451 and The Inferno being amongst the most recent.

This shift carries over to other media as well -- I find myself watching more and more dramas instead of action-adventure movies, and more TV shows along the lines of "CSI" than sitcoms.

Those who know me just said, "Ashley, you've been addicted to 'CSI' since it first started six years ago."

Maybe TV shows aren't a good example. But the theme remains; these shifts have been toward more people-oriented works and away from those strictly event-oriented (or, given my previous tendencies, explosion-oriented). I'm not sure why this is, but, like most of the recently observed changes, I think it has something to do with where I go to school.

Life at Tech is detail- and event-oriented. They tell us that we are to be good communicators, but most of the work still focuses elsewhere. I suspect that my brain is partially trying to account for this difference and leading me towards books and movies where I can concentrate on the characters and not their surroundings.

Not to say my previous choices are completely gone; I love action-adventure movies (I come from a James Bond family) and comedies, and I still read crime novels (and some rather strange nonfiction books covering the same topics).

Any thoughts out there? Preferences? Suggestions? (Not you, Darren, I don't care for your taste in movies!)

Comments

daz said…
why, what's wrong w/ my taste of movies? they're not all scary (well most aren't even though they're suppose to be). what about the other 1/2 of my choice, which is the disney movies? and yes i know that it's a bit weird to have fav movies being horror and then disney/kids. i say we should go see "the hills have eyes" or whatever it's called, what do you think?
Anonymous said…
Star Wars Movie Bonanza!! I still haven't seen all of the newer movies. I'm kinda burnt out on all the Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter hype.
Or I could increase my paranoia and see "the hills have eyes" but I already have issues with leaveing the closet doors open at night when I'm all alone. This may sound strange but...scarry movies scare me.
daz said…
how about Stay Alive, it opens tomorrow, well i guess today as it's 2am right now. hmmm...maybe i should go to bed since i have a test at 9. eh

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review