Don't Go Changing ...

After disappearing from home for roughly a year (this is the longest stretch that I've been at my parents' house since ... well, last August at the least, the August before that at the most), I'm reminded again and again that the world turns on without me.

Not that I wasn't aware of this, mind you. I might be dense, but at least give me that much credit.

Anyway, I've been noticing some changes around here. For instance, there is now a four-way stop south of my house where there was not a week ago. And lower speed limits going past Tea, on both sides. For that matter, one of those speed zones is located where one didn't even exist before.

My brother is hooked on "Gilmore Girls" now. That was a little more alarming than most everything ... I don't know why. It shouldn't be alarming. Maybe that's mostly in the name.

Ah, yes. There's also a lake behind my house.

That's the real shocker. There used to be a corn field back there, and suddenly there were advertisements for "Lakefront Property" and arrows pointing to the field. I, for one, was confused. No lake existed at that time.

As it turns out, that is an easily-remedied problem. Dig a big hole and voila! A lake!

I foresee my mother wanting to move. The number of houses that will be built in that field is astounding. We'll have neighbors where before we only had birds. Lots of neighbors.

Lincoln County has the fastest growing population in the country. This is just an example of why.


I don't know what your problem is, but I'd bet it's hard to pronounce.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can totally relate to the feeling you are having being back home! When I went home for the fourth of July, it was so strange. You know that things are changing at home and that life is still ticking away, but somehow you almost expect things to be exactly the same when you get there.

I wonder how long it will take for your country home to become a suburban neighborhood. I imagine it will be interesting to say the least. I hope all in SD is good, enjoy the rest of your summer!
daz said…
hey i'll let you know how weird it is when i'm back living in thornton, as my brother is also going to be there after he graduates in a day or 2 (i think). it'll be the first time really since 2000 that my mom, brother, and i will be living under the same roof.

oh and whats wrong w/ the tv show gilmore girls its hilarious (mostly 'cause of the witty comments and such). anyways hope everything in SD is going well. updating my blog sometime later today. laters

Popular posts from this blog

?

The Ashley Files: The Gerbil Story

2019 Year In Review